Last weekend me and four others (Sean, Sammy, Chai and Pauly) from Nottingham joined the 5th Floor Crew, to embarked on a little (140 mile) bike ride adventure.
Click more below to see what we got up too..
Went on search the other day to see if there was an alternative to 3Ds max’s physics system, Reactor. I soon came across Physx from Nvidia. Its currently still in public beta which means you can download it for free once you sign up to the nvida developer zone (You can also Google the links).
So I’ve been meaning to update the old DigitalAnthill look since I started my new job.. that was 8 months ago now! I finally had a weekend where I was free and it was raining so I was encouraged to stay indoors. This was a perfect opportunity to get the job done. Alex was about too so I asked for his help in designing a logo and identity for me. First we went through various fonts trying to find one which was suitable. At first we chose neue Helvetica and Alex played around with the position of the text until he came up with the current look.
Helvetica looked good but I didn’t really want it, so we looked some more. Finally came across Code Pro. I loved it as first sight, so we did a quick mock up and it worked perfectly. I decided I might as well purchase it. Got the full font family for £30. Not a bad deal I think.
We then continued to fiddle with the poisoning till it looked sweet. It was looking slightly off balance next to the top right L so we stuck in a ® for good measure. Yes I know DigitalAnthill is not a registered trade mark but hey it looks cool, so what ever. If anyone asks, it stands for Rob ;)
Click more to see how I created the 3D Logo..
At work we recently got some new custom memory sticks made. I’ve had the fun task of copying the showreel to all 50 of them, not once but twice! There was a amend to the video so they all needed doing again! They’re pretty cool though, you twist the top and the usb connection pops out!
You’ve probably heard about HTML5 and the ability to embed video. Well this sounds all well and good but its been a bit of a mission getting my head around it and finally getting to a point where it actually works. I first started looking into it about 2 months ago when creating videos for the new Tribe website. Me and Ben (the web developer there) spent quite a bit of time scratching our heads and testing different methods until we came up with a solution that should work across all platforms.
In this tutorial I’ll try my best to explain the process of getting HTML5 video to embed into a WordPress Blog, you’re not limited to a WP blog, you should be able to adapt it for any type of site. Bear in mind I don’t have a great deal of knowledge in the web area, so I apologise now if this is a little sloppy.
Remember only HTML5 supported browsers can view the video, this currently includes the latest versions of Chrome, IE9, Firefox4, Safari, Opera and most mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPad etc.
So Its been while since my last post… I don’t know why but I seem to have very little spare time nowadays. I guess working a full time job really does take its toll on personal projects and keeping things updated. Any way at the beginning of April I went back out to the French Alps with some friends from Nottingham Trent Uni. Once again we had an awesome time. The snow wasn’t amazing with it being towards the end of the season, however the X-games were held there only a few weeks before so the parks were top level. We spent most the days shredding them up. I filmed quite a bit again.. standard, this time I didn’t edit all the footage to music etc so I just created a few little videos that consisted of the best bits, these went up on facebook.
I did get time to produce the following little edit. While on the slope I had the idea of the camera pole floating between people by getting someone to carry it from behind. We did a few trial runs and it actually ended up being quite difficult. The person being filmed had to remember not to get the person who handed the camera to them in shot. The person taking the camera around had to make sure their shadow wasn’t in the shot. We tried it a few times, The following edit has been chopped up a bit to make it go to the beat, also to cut out any bits where you could see the carrier.
Hit MORE… for more.
I’ve been wanting to get a prime lens for some time but haven’t had the budget.. I’m going back up the French Alps in a few days time so I decided I would get this lens for the trip even though I still don’t really have the budget…
I asked around and did a bit of research and it seemed the best starting place was a 50mm f1.8.
I had a Logitech mm28 NXT speaker for about 4 years. It was great, amazing battery life, good sound (up to a certain point), portable etc… However it broke a few months a go (due to me dropping it on a concrete floor) and I didn’t know what to get as a replacement. I was thinking about getting the same one again but I found out they don’t make them any more.
So after three months of hard work the time arrived to finally show everybody what we had been doing. Me and Alex had one final push to get the DVD completed before Trent students broke up for Easter holidays. It was quite a stressful time as there was still a bit to get sorted. Alex was working on getting all the artwork ready to print and I was working on setting up the menu system for the DVD. We finished it all by the Sunday evening and had the master copy of the disc sent via next day recorded delivery (Royal Mail Style) on Monday.